How to choose a gaming server for your Minecraft community
Smooth gameplay and flexibility are key aspects of building the ultimate gaming experience, which you only get with dedicated computing resources. So, which is best for your Minecraft gameplay – a virtual private server (VPS) or a dedicated server? Both can give you dedicated resources, robust bandwidth, high-level scalability, maximum uptime and no latency. So what do you get from each option? With a VPS, you can usually customize your plan with just the features you want, so you’re not overpaying for space and resources you don’t need. It’s why a lot of gamers go with VPS hosting rather than dedicated server hosting. That being said, if you have a high level of traffic or unique hosting needs, you should consider a dedicated server.
VPS Advantages: Very affordable and offers virtual isolation, with no physical server maintenance, but at the cost of direct control of the hardware.
- With a VPS, you’ll share a server’s resources with other accounts, but unlike shared hosting, your portion of the server is fully isolated and dedicated just to your needs.
- The CPU and bandwidth are yours alone, so you’ll have greater bandwidth and processing power, along with better security and privacy than with shared server hosting.
- You can scale and upgrade with more space, power, memory, and bandwidth at any time to ensure smooth gameplay and keep up with your changing needs.
- You don’t have to spend time, energy, and money on software and hardware maintenance.
- The flexibility of a VPS is essential as your community grows or you want to install new mods without impacting gameplay.
- If you pay for a managed VPS, the hosting provider handles the control panel and system configurations.
Dedicated Server Advantages: Offers physical isolation and provides full control over software and hardware, but it’s more expensive and scaling is more taxing.
- A big advantage of a dedicated server is you have full control over the actual physical hardware inside your server and the software that’s running on it.
- With your own Minecraft server, 100% of the resources and disk space are available for you to allocate and rent out as game servers, with no need for a virtualization layer. See our easy-to-follow directions on how to create your own Minecraft Game server.
- You can optimize all elements of the games you host, ensuring your end users enjoy the best experience possible, 24/7, wherever they are.
- You’re free to configure your hosting environment in the way that best suits you and your community and implement the tools you want, including your choice of control panel.
- You can build and develop professional-quality gaming environments from the ground up, just as players build their unique Minecraft worlds, with new servers ready to deploy.
Protecting Your Gameplay
Online games, including Minecraft, are common targets for DDoS (distributed denial of service) attacks. You want to be sure your server is equipped with anti-DDoS game protection to ensure it is automatically protected in the event of any attack. Anti-DDoS protection systems are designed to prevent downtime in case of a DDoS attack, so your end users don’t experience any interruptions and they’ll play on, unaware an attack is occurring. OVHcloud anti-DDoS protection offers a high level of security against various types of volume-based protocol and application layer attacks.
OVHcloud® Game Servers
Read our full Game server white paper to learn more and check out our pricing. Our team can help you choose the best solution based on your requirements and budget and, of course, offer you all the technical support you need. Please contact us today.
ESSENTIAL VPS – Our recommendation for 1 to 40 players
80 GB SSD NVMe
ELITE VPS – Our recommendation for 1 to 80 players
From 8 GB to 32 GB
From 160 GB to 640 GB SSD NVMe
RISE-GAME-1 DEDICATED SERVER – Our recommendation for 1 to unlimited players
AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
6 c/12 t - 3.80GHz/4.40GHz
2 x 500GB SSD NVMe Soft RAID
64GB DDR4 ECC 2666MHz
GAME-2 DEDICATED SERVER – Our recommendation for 1 to unlimited players
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
8 c/16 t - 3.80GHz/4.70GHz
2 x 960GB SSD NVMe Soft RAID
64GB DDR4 ECC 2666MHz